Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Star Wait and how Joss got to direct Gaff in Battlestar Galactica

Addicted to you
I have spent too long in front of the DVD recently. I know this. So, as I settled down to watch Star Wait last night it was with the aim of being asleep before midnight. Star Wait did not disappoint and I had to watch a sample of the extras (of course).

Star Wait DVD review
I've waited a while to see this DVD and yes, it was worth the wait! I thoroughly enjoyed it from start to finish. Now, I'm going to come right out and say that I have seen all the Star Wars movies a few times, but that I've seen IV, V and VI more because I'm that old. I'm not going to discuss the merits or otherwise of the 'new' and 'old' ones, life is too short. Star Wait is all about the people who lined up outside Grauman's Chinese Theatre 6 weeks before the release of Attack of the Clones. It is filmed in a documentary style with Michael Rotman and Adam Schenk as Producers and Michael Rotman Directing. There are 9 sections (echoing the alleged 9 episodes of Star Wars?) to the film taking us from the beginning of the wait to just after the first viewing.

So, why did they all do it? What did they get out of it (apart from elaborately-crafted badges)? What are the nerds like? Well, as a nerd/geek myself I found them to be on the broad spectrum of geek/normal who shared one goal - to be the first people to get tickets and view the first showing of the film. Their dedication to this cause was eye-wateringly single-minded with logs of hours spent on the line and all participants raising at least $50 for the Starlight Starbright Charity. The film concentrates on several 'main' characters and there are some very funny parts, but this is not train-wreck reality TV. I didn't feel anyone was exploited or made to look foolish especially for the camera, and at the end I felt it was life-affirming for everyone, whether nerd or not. All the lineup people were there by choice and although they endured hardships, sleep-deprivation and the occasional run-in with some colourful nightlife, they were there because they wanted to be.

Some/many/most people would not take 6 weeks out of their lives for a movie showing. Even less will do it over and over. One of the many extras on the DVD (I haven't had time to view/listen to them all yet) was a short from the lineup for Revenge of the Sith. Now, I was particularly interested in this because of the previously-mentioned Wil Wheaton blog about his 'feud' with the lineup people. Unfortunately, the was no mention of this at all so there are still unanswered questions. But now I have a better understanding of what went on and a cunning plan on how to get some answers...Star Wait - worth the Wait!

After the Waiting is over
So I retired thinking about Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica ('cos I want the next season and Joss has said he wanted to direct it) and Arthur C. Clarke (RIP). Getting to sleep wasn't a problem but then, at 4.00 - BAM! Wide awake! I was having the most wonderful dream about killing all humans - no wait, isn't that Bender? No, that was Joss directing Edward James Olmos as Admiral Adama (but dressed as Gaff, his character in Bladerunner), all in the comfort of my kitchen. Which had handily extended to the size of the interior of a Battlestar. There is no sleep after a dream like that, I can tell you! I won't go into any details because not only are they now fading, but also a particular thing happened that was actually feasible and could be construed as a spoiler, as ridiculous as that seems.

I did a bad thing
So, don't blame me. I didn't buy the next season today. It was bought as a gift. Now I really don't know when I'm going to get any sleep but I do hope not to have anymore vivid dreams. At least until the bags under my eyes have receded a little.

Woody's Runup
Nathan Fillion has been helping his Dr Horrible's co-star by encouraging everyone to vote for 'The Guild' after a rival for the awards submitted a video to YouTube where they mocked Felicia by pretending they had killed her. 'The Guild' is now back in the lead. The Paley Buffy Reunion is less than 24 hours away.

1 comment: