Tuesday, April 19, 2011

RIP Lis Sladen. You will be missed

Elisabeth Sladen, who played Sarah Jane Smith in Dr Who. RIP

Sad news today
Twitter has been buzzing with news that Elisabeth Sladen, who played Sarah Jane Smith in Dr Who, has died today. Nicola Bryant, who was another Who companion, Peri, tweeted this:


Sarah Jane Smith was the first Who Companion I watched as a kid and I loved her fire and 'realness'. Seeing her return to the Whoverse in recent years has been a joy.

There are various reports out there you can read, and official confirmation on the BBC, but I just wanted to say:

Thank you, Ms Sladen, for being a role model. For your compassion and for caring about the way women are portrayed on TV. For the work you have done and the passion you brought.

Rest In Peace.

NOTE: originally I spelled Elisabeth's name with a 'z' - thanks to @slackmistress and @egspoony I realised my mistake and have corrected.

2 comments:

  1. She brought unparalleled charm and grace to what (let's face it) could at times be a thankless role. She was brilliant when she returned in School Reunion -- the single episode of the new series I have rewatched the most and the only I kept on my iPod. I'm heartbroken by the news today, and it's clear from the reaction around the web, that the world of Doctor Who fandom is deeply saddened. She will indeed be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really did make a huge impact on so many people's lives.

    Very sad news.

    ReplyDelete