Wednesday, June 18, 2008

'Fessing up to Plurk!

Tabz made me do it!
Yes, I've become a Social Media Junkie, it's official. I think it's correlated to the amount of work I have to do and the fact that I'll soon be sort of unemployed as my 'big project' (the one I actually get paid to do) is coming to an end forcing me to face up to the fact that I must get my freelancing butt in gear, and soon. So Plurk was a godsend, really. Tabz (or to give her her full title 'Ms Tabitha Grace Smith: Ruler of the Buffy podcasting airwaves and Social Media Guru') mentioned it on a Twitter recently (o yes, me being on Twitter is also because of Tabz and Felicia Day - another one of those people I can't seem to resist). Where was I? Oh yes, so Tabz mentioned Plurk and wrote an article about it, so I naturally had to check it out (yes, I'm weak).


Confusing much?
At first I was perplexed and bemused. Plurk is a micro-blogging service, so in that way it is like Twitter. But the interface is very different to Twitter and it's quite disorientating at first. It looks a bit messy, but the colour scheme is quite groovy and...well, it kind of grows on you. I know I've following a few people but to be honest, I'm not sure where I check on this (a work in progress!). I also have 4 'friends' I've found since joining. Somehow, it seems more immediate than Twitter. This could be due to the fact you don't have to keep hitting 'refresh' all the time - new posts and responses pop up automatically. I can imagine that with lots of friends it might get a bit cluttered, but for now I'm finding it easy to manage.


So Twitter's out then?
Not exactly. I'm still Tweeting, but I'm finding that I'm Plurking more, and checking my Plurks more. How long it'll last I don't know, but if you want to join in the experiment you can sign up at Plurk.com or try my Plurk homepage. And I've put a link to the RSS feed under my Twitter updates over on the right, there. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment