Monday, May 10, 2010

Goodnight Princess Act 2: Middle Eight

Hubby shows his skills in Goodnight Princess
Act 2 is now up!
We continue this experiment in short form drama, or Internet Play, with the second installment of Goodnight Princess. Thank you for everyone who watched and commented last week - it's always amazing to get feedback from people. If you'd like to know more about it you can read more in this post and the one I did on my writer's blog. Please let us know what you think of this week's installment. Last episode will be out next Monday.



So many videos, so little time
We've been discussing webseries for some time and there are many questions to be answered. Are there actually many more comedy webseries than drama ones, or does it just seem that way? With high-end dramas such as Compulsions, After Judgement and The Bannen Way, is there room for small, independent and/or amateur productions? Is drama simply harder to do 'right'? Is the market for drama webseries necessarily smaller than that for comedies?

New Poll - take it today!
With that in mind I've launched a new poll seeing what kind of webseries people generally watch. I'm trying the Blogger Poll which only allows one question so we'll see how it goes. And yes, I realise that there are many more ways to classify webseries than drama/comedy, and that some are both, but for simpilicity I'm forcing you to choose between only these two. Please take a moment to vote and we'll see how it goes.

3 comments:

  1. I think drama is much harder to do right. Comedy can have amateurish production values, yet still be funny in spite of it, and even because of it. We tend to cut comedy more slack (a fact the Masked Roger relies heavily on).

    I find with drama, it's much easier to lose my suspension of disbelief. Once that's gone, I find it hard to get into it. I guess you can get away with it if you're trying to be camp, but then you've already got one foot in the comedy genre.

    With "Goodnight Princess" though, you're keeping it simple enough that it still works. Nice use of a dissolve BTW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are right, Alan, in that comedy allows more leeway in terms of what is allowable and how 'professional' it has to look. Robot Chicken and South Park are immensely successful despite looking (to the untrained eye) as if a 3 year old could do it.

    Drama does rely more heavily on suspension of disbelief, although it can still work even if the effects aren't stellar (any old sci-fi film or series shows that).

    With "Goodnight Princess" we've tried to make the set up very simple so that it is not distracting to the action/plot. If it had been possible we wouldn't have used any effects but I'm glad you think the dissolve works :)

    As for the Masked Roger, you have got lots going on and the effects you are using are very well done (very jealous of your techniques!). It is funny but it is also an interesting story - and the two things don't always go together. I do *not* know how it's going to end but I'm wondering if the levitation method Roger has developed is viable - I can see it would be a hard sell! o_O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your kind comments on Masked Roger. As a Whedon and Day disciple, one of my highest priorities was to be unpredictable and plot-twisty, so I'm very pleased to hear I haven't telegraphed the ending (yet).

    As for the levitation device (to steal a joke from South Park), it still beats dealing with the airline companies :-)

    ReplyDelete