Sunday, November 16, 2008

Exclusive Kim Evey interview on Whedonage and Browncoat News

Plus another update on The Guild 
The next installment about The Guild is now up on Whedonage and a great interview with Kim Evey. I can't thank her enough for doing the interview in spite of me making a...well, that's another story. If you want to know more, skip to the bottom of the page (not for those who cringe at other people's embarrassment!).



Browncoat news? A film?! What does that mean?
Excitement and the chance to hear more stories from the 'Verse! I won't rehash the Whedonage article here but suffice to say that a group of dedicated Browncoats are working on a new film set in the Firefly/Serenity universe called Browncoats: Redemption. This has had Joss' blessing (though neither Universal nor anyone else has agreed yet) and all the profits will go to charity. They have a website and a Facebook site where you can find out more. I wish them all the best and I will ordering my copy as soon as it's all finished - this is a very exciting project!

Why it's sometimes best to if you don't try to be funny....
Some people have the ability to convey their personality, or aspects of it, through interviews. I think Kim is one of them. I've read quite a few interviews and articles about Kim and The Guild over the last few months and I thought I had a handle on the person. I was thrilled when she said she would do the interview and went into overdrive with questions - there was so much I wanted to know. And then I thought "Kim's a funny sort of person  - she'll appreciate a joke. I'll send her some questions from Evil WorldofHiglet and pretend they are the real interview questions - she'll think it's hi-larious!"

How I chuckled to myself as I prepared to send off the first message to Kim. We were using The Guild email/messaging system and I sent off the Evil WoH questions first, intending to follow up with the real questions straight after. And that's where it all started to go pear-shaped. 

I had not realised that there was a size limit on messages sent via the messaging system. I cut and pasted the real interview into the message and then learned the awful truth. I couldn't possibly send all the questions in one message - it would take at least two. I did a quick calculation and worked out it should do with two if I trimmed it slightly. Ok. Not ideal but nevermind. So I sent the second message with the article intro and an explanation about how the first email was a joke and the real questions would be in the next email. 

And then I found out that the size limit was characters INCLUDING SPACES. So the questions wouldn't fit into the third email!  I was going to have to split them into another 2 messages....at this point I think it's safe to say that I was regretting having ever started! But I had to press on to the bitter end. So I sent the questions split into next two messages out with the title "This isn't spam...." I felt more than a little stupid and wondered how Kim was going to react to a whole slew of nonsensical messages from someone who was obviously a sandwich or two short of a picnic.

I stewed for a couple of days, wondering what to do. But I couldn't leave it and so sent one last message explaining that if she could let me have another email address I could send the whole thing to her. In one go. There might have been some groveling in there too. I'm trying to repress so I can't say for sure. Kim sent an email back in which she tactfully ignored my spamming her inbox. She gave an alternate address and she even offered to answer the Evil WoH questions! I can't tell you how relieved I was. So, the interview was saved, if not my pride.

Well, I thought I would just share that with you. Yep, I'm a bit of a doofus. But luckily it all worked out and Kim gave some great answers. Check out the interview - she rocks!

9 comments:

  1. haha that was awesome Higlet!! =P

    And that's a very cool story to tell about how Kim is great!

    And look at this on the bright side, she'll never forget you now... You'll always be the interviewer who spammed her inbox! LOL

    And (wow, that's a lot of 'and's ...) loved that Browncoat project, pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and if that helps u feel better, first emails I sent to Felicia, I totally spammed her too... and she still 'talks' to me, so... =P
    And I'm pretty sure I've done the same with Kim too... but now I just block that from my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ops, and now I'm spamming you... sorry, that last comment was me too, just forgot to log off from my friend's band blogger...

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) Well I thought it would amuse you - I can see the funny side now but at the time I was not a happy bunny! I'm just really lucky that Kim does have a sense of humour!

    And you only left 3 messages, so that's not really spamming in my books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And the Browncoat: Redemption film sounds like a really shiny project - I'll be keeping my eye on that and no mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your questions to Kim on Whedonage - very awesome. I think you convey a great sense of fun and personality into your writing, as well!

    I now support Higlet in all forms.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, SofaChip, for those kind words!

    I'm interviewing Felicia Day next week and I'm a bit nervous about that because it's going to be a video interview. With someone I've been following closely for a long time. It's easier to email questions I think!

    But I'm sure it'll be fine because Felicia seems like a really nice person. Well, apart from the baby-eating and drink-throwing....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh goodness - I understand what you mean about being nervous! But it's very much of the highest cool factor to interview someone you love. And seriously - Felicia? She has to be one of the sweetest people in the entire world (including Iowa*). So unless you are secretly a baby, you will be fine!

    I did an interview with a Guildie member last week but it isn't going to be published until the 25th when season two begins. (Hint, uh, her name rhymes with ...Kaymey Laloodah.)

    * I suspect people in Iowa are friendlier than most, no clue why.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love kim Evey. Don't tell her husband.

    ReplyDelete