Wednesday, February 13, 2008

404: page not found

Fly casual
Well I should at least get some points for trying, shouldn't I? I mean, how hard can it be to find out what happened in a remote (from me, at least) place nearly 3 years ago? To be sure, there was obviously quite a bit of interest in the 'lineup vs Grauman's/FOX' case at the time leading up the the opening of 'Revenge of the Sith', but what happened afterwards? Did they all troop round the corner to the Arclight and see it there? How do they view what they did now with the mellowing effect of time?

Good questions, I think you'll agree, and ones that deserve an answer. We need to know how it all ended and if indeed it did end for the people involved. Perhaps they are still scarred by the whole event, have become embittered and are even now plotting the downfall of civilisation through the use of viral ringtones. Or maybe some met life partners in the lineup, found a god other than George Lucas and have donated their pristine collection of action figures (see, I didn't say 'doll' - I have few myself, actually...) to charity. Hopefully the charity work they did in the lineup has continued and maybe they still do lineups for other events, too.

Well, I have no idea the answer to any of these questions. But I have tried to find out. I've used my extensive list of insider contacts (i.e. posted a couple of questions on Yahoo Answers) and even used search engines other than Google (don't you miss Webster?) but no joy. Until...I did find a message board that looks like it might be connected to the lineup people. I don't want to say too much but I emailed someone and hopefully I'll get a reply. I love it when a plan comes together.

Star Wars Trek?
The great part about not finding out what you wanted to on the 'net is finding out about lots of other things. Useful things, illuminating things, geek-based things...like HTTPanties. Now, as a carbon-based geek of the female persuasion there are few places on my highstreet that cater for the more discerning geek. But anyone in need of a lastminute Valentine's gift could try 'ThinkGeek' for inspiration http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/itdepartment/6792/. The 'action' shots are fantastic (and tasteful, so no worries there). It's up to you whether you chose to sport the '200 OK' or the '403 Forbidden'...

No, Star Trek Wars.
And Geeksta rap - apparently it's the new thing. Although I'm a big fan of Weird Al's 'White and Nerdy' I had no idea that it was (nearly) going mainstream, but there are examples on iTunes if you want to check it out. See http://www.wordspy.com/words/geeksta.asp for a great primer.

It's Pasadena all over again...
And I've heard from my local Browncoats. They are still in business and there are some gatherings coming up. I've been to exhibitions before but never a convention or a fanmeet, so I'm a bit nervous. Plus finding a babysitter is a problem. But I'm excited. There will be conversations about favourite episodes, dialogue and characters so I'd better watch the Firefly boxset again (no chore there!). Plus I get to meet some new people. I bet the lineup people could give me some pointers...

No comments:

Post a Comment