Monday, November 2, 2009

NaNoWri - Wut? It's that time again, writerly folks!



NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month

Yesterday heralded the holt-anticipated start of NaNoWriMo - where otherwise level-headed folk attempt to do the impossible task of writing a novel in a month. Yes, that's right - in the space of 30 days thousands of people will be pounding their keyboards and scribbling in notebooks in order to reach the goal of 50, 000 words. And that is a short novel. In a month.

WHY?

Because! On the NaNo site there is a list of FAQs and this is near the top. I love the answers they give - because the deadline makes you do it, because so many people are striving together to achieve the same thing, because it lets you stamp down that internal critic that insists you make it perfect before you write it...

Are you NaNoWriMoing?

If you are let me know and we can be writing buddies. You can find my NaNo page here, and I'm hoping to work out how to get the word count widget to work so you can check out my awesome progress. So many things are happening with my writing at the moment it's a really exciting time - now I'd better get back and do some more!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Jennifer! It looks like you will be keeping yourself busy anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog - I've heard of the NaNo writing thing - I write but this is too intense for me. I like my own pace best but I'm all for cheering you on!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi SuZen - thanks for the encouragement :)

    They do youth NaNoWriMo too, where kids can set their own goals in case you are interested for your students.

    I'm finding the word goal a bit challenging at the moment because everything seems to have exploded work-wise, but I'll make it up next week I hope.

    ReplyDelete