Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Insight 101: How I KNOW what you are thinking....

Blogging, eh? It's a funny old business...  
And nothing has amused me more in these last few weeks than checking up on YOU, my dear readers. No, I haven't been cyber-stalking you (apart from, you know, those people I do stalk, and they know who they are). But I have a good idea about how your brain works. For a start, how did you get here at all?

Statistics, not metaphysics 
And by that I mean, how did you find this lil' ole blog? Some of you searched your way here, and I will return to you in a moment. And some of you headed this way after clicking a link on another site. Perhaps you read one of the articles on Whedonage and were desperate for more, or you first read about me on my other blog over at Wordpress. Or you are thinking of joining my community on MyBlogLog (do it - it's free and easy!). The thing is, I know how many of you have done this through the power of Google Analytics. This free and spanky piece of software shows me where the traffic on my site has come from, how long it stayed and which posts are the most popular. Here are some highlights....

Most popular search phrases:
repo brothers
paley buffy
Nathan Fillion

Most popular posts:

Most popular referring sites:

Most surprising search phrases:
Velour fetish
Boypants
What are boypants
widget geek

Want to know more?
Well the real reason for this post was not to bore you useless information but to share with you one fact that has kept me amused out of all proportion these last weeks. On my Wordpress blog do you know what the most searched for thing is? Do you? Well, please don't tell Felicia, but here is a screenshot that tells you all you need to know:


Of course, Wordpress allows you get the IP address and email of everyone who visits, so I know that most of these searches are one person. I wonder who Mr S Parikh is.....? 

Tomorrow, we'll look at what these results mean (if anything).

P.S. One of the facts above is incorrect. Do you know which one?

8 comments:

  1. wow, a lot of people are thinking naughty things about Felicia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh - you'd better believe it! That isn't even half of the variations of 'Felicia Day erotic cabo hotel....'!

    The funny thing is that in the article they all go to (http://worldofhiglet.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/future-entertainment-part-1-reviewing-the-guild/) I had put that IMDb was wrong in saying that Felicia was in 'Hotel Erotic Cabo' because Felicia had been Twittering about how it wasn't her. I still get at least 2 or 3 every day coming to the site looking for more info, though.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm aghast.

    No swine-related data to report?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, not so far - but just wait until tomorrow... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was me. I meant to search for 'fellatio day at erotic cabo hotel,' but a typo led me astray. My bad.

    Seriously, it's fascinating--and sometimes disturbing--to see what brings people to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! I'm sure Felicia feels much better now!

    And actually, there is this blog that...anyway, thanks for the comment and come on 'fess up - what's the weirdest search term that got to your blog? I bet it's not boypants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish it was. My most popular search result is "Lazy Sunday". The weirdest one is "hippie sheep." I think I need to start blogging about fellatio and see what happens...

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Hippie sheep' huh? I would rank that on a par with 'boypants'. And it's an interesting idea to pepper posts with potentially provocative proto-erotic keywords, but after that amount of alliteration I need to lie down....!

    ReplyDelete